1 Courthouse Square, Bowling Green, OH 43402
Judges chambers

Welcome to the Wood County Domestic Relations Court

Please Click the PDF below for information from the Court regarding COVID-19.

Domestic Relations Temporary Order Regarding Parenting Time/School Closures During COVID-19 Pandemic

Domestic Relations
Courtroom #3 / First Floor

The Domestic Relations Court is part of the Common Pleas Court and has jurisdiction to grant a legal separation or to terminate a marriage by divorce, dissolution or annulment. The Court generally has authority over the children of the marriage until the children have turned 18 and no longer regularly attend high school. The Wood County Domestic Relations Court is the appropriate court to file for a termination of a marriage when one of the parties resides in Wood County, and has the power to enforce its orders when a motion is filed.

The Domestic Relations Court shares jurisdiction with the Municipal Courts and the Common Pleas Court over domestic violence cases. It is possible that more than one court will be involved with the parties in a domestic violence case. The Municipal Courts or the Common Pleas Criminal Division deal with the criminal aspect and the Domestic Relations Common Pleas Court deals with the civil aspect.

The Judges of the Court of Common Pleas of Wood County have appointed two magistrates to hear most cases with issues relating to the termination of marriage, a civil protection order or the enforcement of an order issued through Domestic Relations. This would include dissolution, divorce, legal separation, post-decree motions and civil protection orders.


It is suggested that you have an attorney to represent your interests when you come to court, however you may appear without an attorney. Although you can proceed without an attorney, you will be expected to follow the rules of the court, file the appropriate paperwork and present sufficient evidence if you proceed to trial. In most domestic relations cases, you are not entitled to have an attorney appointed to represent you.

If you are brought to court for contempt and there is a possibility of jail time, you may be entitled to have an attorney appointed if you are found to be indigent. You will be required to complete a form and pay a fee of $25.00 to be considered for a court appointed attorney. The forms and additional information is located at The Wood County Clerk of Courts website under “Additional Post Domestic Relations forms”. You may also wish to visit www.opd.ohio.gov. You may also wish to contact Legal Aid of Western Ohio at www.ablelaw.org to see if you qualify for a pro bono attorney.