Common Pleas Court Notary Public

The Wood County Court of Common Pleas will no longer be accepting new notary applications with the passage of the Notary Modernization Act. If you would like to become a new notary you may contact the Ohio Secretary of State notary division at 614-644-4559 or visit


The Court Administration Office will be accepting renewal applications until September 5, 2019. After that date renewals will need to be processed with the Ohio Secretary of State. You cannot renew your commission more than 90 days before the expiration date.


Process prior to September 6, 2019:

Notary Public

In Wood County, the Court Administration office processes Notary Public applications.

How to become a notary

What are the qualifications to become a notary public?

You must be at least 18 years of age and a resident of the State of Ohio and Wood County. Ohio Law also requires you to be of good moral character and capable of discharging the duties of a Notary Public. If you are not a Wood County resident, contact the Clerk of Courts office in the county where you currently reside.

How do I become a notary public?

Each applicant must fill out an application for appointment, pay the appropriate fee, and attend a notary public session, at which time an examination under the rules and regulations prescribed by the Wood County Common Pleas Court will be administered. If you believe you qualify, call the Wood County Court Administration office at 419-354-9042 to obtain a notary packet and schedule a time to attend a notary public session.

If you pass the exam, your application will be signed by a Judge of the Common Pleas Court and forwarded to the Ohio Secretary of State for processing.  An applicant who does not successfully complete the examination may immediately apply for re-examination.  After a second unsuccessful examination, an applicant must wait until 60 days after the date of the first examination to file an application for re-examination.

You will receive a Notary Commission signed by the Governor and the Secretary of State in approximately 3-4 weeks.

Once you receive your Notary Commission from the State you MUST record your Commission with the Wood County Clerk of Courts BEFORE any notarial acts are performed.

Are there fees involved in becoming a notary public?

The State of Ohio charges a $15.00 fee for the issuance of a Notary Commission.  The Wood County Clerk of Courts charges a fee to record your Commission of $7.00, or $5.00 if you have your signature notarized before you bring in your Commission.

Does my notary commission expire?

Your Notary Public Commission expires 5 years from the date of issue.  If you are an attorney at law, your commission is good for as long as your remain in good standing with the Supreme Court of Ohio and continue to reside in the State of Ohio.

Is my notary commission good only in the county in which I record it?

A Notary Commission is good statewide, but must be recorded and renewed in the county in which you reside.  If you are going to be notarizing outside of your county of residence, it is advised that you record your commission in that county as well.

Do I follow the same process for renewing my notary commission?

Any person commissioned as a notary public who wishes to renew his/her notary commission is not required to take the written examination again unless it has been longer than six months since your present commission expired.  Contact the Court Administration office to obtain an application for renewal.  If you are not a Wood County resident, contact the Clerk of Courts office in the county where you currently reside.

Where do I obtain my notary stamp and seal?

Your notary stamp and seal may be obtained through most office supply stores.

What should I do if I change my name?

If a notary legally changes his or her name by marriage, divorce or any other reason, he or she may:

  1. Continue to use your existing Notary Commission after a name change.  At the normal renewal date the notary would change his or her name.  However, the notary must sign each document they notarize with their new name, but indicate the name in which the Commission was issued in parentheses or with the words “formerly known as” after the name; OR
  2. Make Application for Amendment of your Notary Commission by going to the Ohio Secretary of State’s website, selecting the Notary tab and follow the instructions for submitting the Application for Amendment of Notary Public information.

Additional Information

Additional information can be found in the Wood County Notary Public Guidebook and on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website.

Ohio Secretary of State – Notary information

Wood County Notary Public Guidebook (.pdf)